Wednesday 6 April 2011

NOTD April 6 2011: Half Moon Nails

This tutorial sucked lol so I did it again - you can see the better tutorial I did here with better end results =)

Kiddo's I'm sorry to inform you there won't be a fimo tutorial this week.. Okay Okay, I know. I promised, I'm sorry. Truly. But I think this post will be just as good.


I was on Makeuptalk and I noticed a blog entry, and though I didn't read it all - I googled the topic. Half moon nails. Apparently they've been popular since mid 2010 but in reality actually date back to the 50's. I guess I've been under a rock for quite some time and haven't taken notice of this until about 3 days ago haha. There have been a slew of celebrities rocking this nail look. But my personal favourite is 100% Dita Von Teese. Check out these photos:



Pretty badass, right? I thought I'd give it a try and bring you all along on my little adventure so follow me on my quest for half moon nails.. Hopefully this turns out half decent.

I read (and saw) in a bunch of places that using those paper hole supporters would be the best tool for achieving this half moon shape but the place I will give the original credit I saw to is Makeuptalk you can find the blog entry Here. 

What I'm Using: Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in White On, Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Black Out, Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Invisible, Quo Acetone Free Nail Polish Remover, Paper Hole Reinforcements & a nail file.


Here goes...

First of all you'll want to start out by removing any polish you may have on your fingers and shape your nails to you preference.



Next paint white on your nails (I did two coats to get true white) I'm guessing that you don't have to paint your whole nail - you can probably just paint the bottom half white. I did my whole nail though.



Let the white polish dry fully.

Now you'll want to put on the paper hole reinforcements. I cut mine in half so I could get better use out of them. Try and get them in the same approximate place on your nails so everything looks consistent.



Next you need to paint everything above the stickers.

Depending on you polish and how many coats you had to do you can either pull off the sticker before the polish is dry (for single coats or thinner polishes) or wait until the paint is dry (for thicker or multiple coats of polish)

I did a clear top coat and if you followed what I did you should have something that looks along the lines of this:


Bear in mind that I did have to do some re-shaping. Overall I'm not thrilled with this method. Maybe since it was my first time doing it it was due to something I did wrong. The hole reinforcers I used were paper rather then plastic, I think that plastic ones would be easier then paper because the nail polish cant saturate that plastic like it can with the paper stickers. So keep that in mind. 

I'm going to give this a shot again tonight with a few minor changes and hopefully it'll work out better. I'll post pictures of my re-attempt tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog