Monday 7 November 2011

Getting through the Winter!

It gets terribly cold here, and its not even like I live in the Yukon, I can only imagine how blistering cold it gets there. I thought in light of the winter season I'd share a few products that are necessary for getting through the cold weather.

 
Image created through Polyvore

1) Exfoliate - You need a good exfoliant. Serious, you NEED one. Skin tends to get dry and flaky in the winter months. You should exfoliate all throughout the year but in the winter I think its crucial. Even if you have oily skin exfoliating is beneficial because it sloughs off all the "old" skin. In addition to exfoliating your face (and body) don't forget about your lips! Exfoliating will help to rid them of dryness. If you're feeling extra creative you can even make your own exfoliants. Here Michelle Phan shows you how to make your own lip scrub and here she shows you how to make your own facial exfoliant. My favorite face exfoliant is Cliniques Mens Face Scrub (yes the mens one, I used my boyfriends once, and now I'm hooked! Its minty and amazing!)   

2) Moisturize + SPF - Moisturizing is super important, again, all year ‘round but is necessary in the winter months whether your skin is dry, combo or oily. With the winters harsh winds and cold dry air you need to give your skin the extra moisture it needs (and craves). Just use what you like, weather is ultra chic high end or something from the drugstore (Cetaphil is AMAZING). In addition to moisturizing SPF is ALWAYS important. In the winter too! It’s not like the sun goes and hides in the cold months. I love Cliniques SPF 50 facial sunscreen.  Also, drink lots of water! This will also aid you in keeping your skin from getting dry!

3) Lips: Protect That Pout! - I’m guilty of licking my lips and causing them to get chapped like you wouldn’t believe. Every night before bed and all throughout the day I apply Blistex to save myself from getting chapped, cracked sore lips. I really like Blistex because they offer products that are SPF 15 and sure they have the fruity flavored balms but I prefer the minty tingly ones. Plus they’re super cheap!

4) Free your Hair of The Frizz! – I for one have super oily hair, and you’d think that this would save my from the winter static. But, unfortunately it doesn’t. I get all staticy and electrical like everyone else. So you need to put something on that do of yours to tame it down. In the past I’ve used various things this year I’m using Ojon Damage Reverse Instant Restorative Hair Serum Odds are you only need a dime sized drop for your whole head concentrating most of the product on the ends of your hair.

5) Bundle Up Baby! – This ones clearly important. Don’t be ashamed of going out with a rad muppet hat like I do, sure you may get a touch of hat hair, but at least your ears will be nice and toasty! If the hat hair is too “messy” for you then earmuffs are a great alternative, and they come in a ton of super cute variations at a huge variety of price points. Gloves are important too, I wear them mostly when I’m driving, other then that I’m a huge mitten fan. We must not forget about scarves, boots, huge (scary huge) winter jackets, long johns, snow pants, hand warmers and all the other fantastic things the come along with trudging through the winter weather. Even though it’s a pain in the butt, I just can’t help but love that cool crisp winter air!

Winter scene 30
If you guys have any other winter tips/tricks or must have's don't hesitate to post them in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog