Monday 14 May 2012

imPRESS: Press-on Manicure Review

Hi everyone,

So I'm a HUGE fan of Acrylic/Gel nails, I love how they look and feel.

But, sadly, I've banned myself from getting my nails professionally done. I used to be a regular, for about 6 months straight I'd constantly get my nails done, every 2 weeks, I'd either get a fill or a new set. But after awhile I really noticed a decline in the quality/health of my own nails. They were brittle, bendy. peeling and, just, gross. So I stopped getting them done. Two years later my nails are almost back to normal.. Although, both my index fingers still peel, no matter what I do.

Even though I love a good set of fake nails, I just can't do it to my poor natural nails again. Especially since they're almost back to normal again. So imPRESS nails is what I've opted for. I chose to go with a basic french manicure look. This set cost me $8.99 CAD at Rexall. 

The packaging itself is really cute and unique. I really like the idea and that its a container that is resealable. It makes it easier if you want to hold on to the nails for future use. The plastic is nice and sturdy and is not at all flimsy.


This set includes - 24 nail covers, in 12 sizes, one prep pad, and a container to keep the nails in.

Instructions (according to back of box):
  • Find the correct size for each nail. (If needed use smaller sizes for best results)
  • Lay out 10 nails in finger order.
  • Cleanse natural nails with enclosed prep pad.
  • For best adheasion, firmly apply nails, thumb nails last. 
The instructions were really straight forward. So I got to work. This is how they looked after application: 


I was really surprised that they lasted as well as they did (mind you I popped them all off on Sunday) but I showered a couple times between Thursday night and Sunday night. I also washed my face and hands multiple times too. 

The nails held up well but, I just couldn't keep them on. They were making me crazy. On the Friday, my boyfriend and I grabbed some Italian style sandwiches (From California Sandwiches.. If you go try the Chicken.. Its too good for words) This type of sandwich is messy, tomato saucy and all out delicious. Unfortunately the tomato sauce got under one one my nails and stained the plastic reddish/orange. Not attractive.


Another thing that really bothered me about them is that there was a slight gap between the edge of the nail and the glue (see photo to right). Which wouldn't be a problem if I had a buzz cut, lol. But I have long hair, and run my fingers through my hair from time to time. The first time I did this (about an hour after I put them on) I ripped out SIX hairs. Six hairs got stuck between my natural nail and the impress one. Not Cool. Plus it kinda hurt. 


Over the three and a half days I had my nails on this happened multiple times. One of my nails also got caught in my boyfriends hair, which is long and curly (think Slash's hair) and he wasn't too happy about that to say the least.

OVERALL THOUGHTS - 

All in all I think that these nails are great, and although I took them off only after 3.5 days, I think they could have lasted me at least a good 5 days. The adhesive on the nail is better then I thought it would be, its like a really thick/sticky gel, which held up really well. Application and removal of the nails was really simple.I highly recommend these nails for anyone who's interested in these. But I don't recommend them for long wear. Only because they pulled out so many of my hairs and stained from tomato sauce. They're great to pop on if you have an event to go to or just to mix things up. 

If you want real longevity out of a "fake nail" manicure I recommend getting them done in a salon. Or growing out your natural nails!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog